North Korea's leader has delayed a decision on firing missiles toward the U.S. territory of Guam while he watches the actions of the United States a little longer, state media says. Samantha Vadas reports.
A change of tack from North Korea's commander in chief. State media on Tuesday (August 15) releasing a statement saying Kim Jong Un will hold off on plans to fire missiles towards Guam while he watches the actions of the United States a little longer. The report warns if America persists with its "extremely dangerous and reckless actions on the korean peninsular", Kim will make an important decision. It also says the army should always be ready should he call them into action. U.S. and South Korean officials have been playing down the risk of an imminent conflict, but stress they're ready to respond to any attack from the North. (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. CHAIRMAN OF THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF (JCS), JOSEPH DUNFORD SAYING: "Based on projective capacity that North Korea possesses today, we can protect the peninsula, the Koreans here in the peninsula, the Americans here in the peninsula, we can protect Guam, we can protect Hawaii, and we can protect the continent of the United States." Pyongyang outlined plans last week to land four missiles in the waters near Guam fueling already heightened tensions in the Pacific, with President Trump warning he'll unleash 'fire and fury' on North Korea if it threatens the U.S.