Islamist militants of the Boko Haram group have released 82 schoolgirls from a group of 276 they abducted in north-eastern Nigeria three years ago. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT. NO REPORTER NARRATION. A group of girls released by Boko Haram after kidnapping them in 2014 in the north Nigerian town of Chibok arrived on Sunday (May 7) in the capital Abuja, a Reuters witness has said. The girls arrived at Abuja airport and were driven away in a military convoy. Nigeria said on Saturday it had secured the release of 82 girls in exchange for Boko Haram prisoners. Emman Shehu, a member of the Bring back our girls campaign group says the news is a welcome development. Nigeria has thanked Switzerland and the International Committee of the Red Cross for helping secure the release of the 82 girls after "lengthy negotiations", the presidency said in a statement. President Muhammadu Buhari will receive the girls on Sunday afternoon in Abuja, without saying how many Boko Haram suspects had been exchanged or disclosing other details.