Iran has confirmed that it tested a ballistic missile earlier, but says the test does not violate the deal on its nuclear programme. As Joanna Webster reports, a standoff over the test is now feeding into tensions over Trump's travel ban.
Iran has confirmed that it tested a ballistic missile earlier this week. But the country's defence minister says that isn't a violation of the deal on Iran's nuclear programme. Tehran says it hasn't carried out any work on missiles designed to carry nuclear warheads, and is thus in compliance with the deal. But the confirmation poses a challenge to new U.S. president Donald Trump, who has vowed to stop Iran's missile programme. Now the standoff will feed into mounting tension over the US travel ban, which hits Iran and six other muslim-majority countries. On Wednesday Iran president Hassan Rouhani said the ban revealed Washington's true face: (SOUNDBITE) (Farsi) IRANIAN PRESIDENT HASSAN ROUHANI SAYING: "They have said for many years that they are against Iran's government but behind its people. Now they proved that their statements, which they have been making for years, are utterly false. What they think in private and what they say in public are two different things. Now the unique character of the new president has removed the mask of hypocrisy, and he is showing what they have in their hearts." Tehran says it will take legal and political steps to retaliate for the travel ban. Meanwhile, Washington says expect a tough response to the missile test. Whatever happens next, US-Iran relations again seem to be headed for crisis.