Olympic organizers apologize for long delays faced by spectators on the opening day of the games in Rio, and promise to quickly remedy the problems that caused them. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) Rio 2016 organizers issued an apology on Saturday (August 6) after spectators coming to the Olympic Park - and other venues - were faced with long queues on the opening day of the games. There were reports that some missed the start of events, and Mario Andrade, spokesman for the local organizing committee, was quick to say sorry. "First, we apologize to everyone who is standing in the sun in line outside the venues. Obviously we need to upgrade that part of the games. We informed the relevant authorities, we moved people from Rio 2016 to speed up the man and bag and to speed up the checking of the public, so expect within the next hour everything will be in a much better shape," he said. IOC spokesman Mark Adams also admitted there had been glitches, but said they were no different to problems faced at other Olympics and said they would soon be fixed. "There are problems with all games, they get sorted out. These will be sorted out and we look forward to that. I am not belittling them but we have to put it in context for teething problems at the beginning of the games," he said.