Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan says a Syrian suicide bomber is thought to be behind the Istanbul blast that left at least 10 people dead. Rough Cut - Subtitled (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT - SUBTITLED (NO REPORTER NARRATION) A Syrian suicide bomber is thought to be responsible for an attack which killed at least ten people including foreigners and wounded 15 in the heart of Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet tourist district on Tuesday (January 12), President Tayyip Erdogan said. "I strongly condemn the terror incident in Istanbul's Sultanahmet District, assessed to be an attack by a suicide bomber with Syrian origins," Erdogan told a lunch for Turkish ambassadors in Ankara, in a speech broadcast live on television. There was a high probability Islamic State militants were behind the blast near the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, major tourist sites in the centre of one of the world's most visited cities, two senior Turkish security officials told Reuters. "Unfortunately, so far, we have 10 dead in this terrorist attack including foreigners and Turkish nationals," Erdogan added. Several bodies lay on the ground in the Sultanahmet square in the immediate aftermath of the blast. A police officer and witness at the scene also reported seeing several body parts. Norway's foreign ministry said one Norwegian man was injured and was being treated in hospital. The Dogan news agency said six German citizens and one Peruvian were also wounded. Erdogan wished a quick recovery for those wounded in the blast. "I express my condolences to those who were killed in the blast and hope a quick recovery for those who are wounded. Around 15 people were wounded." the president said during his address. Erdogan called for people to stand together as one nation. "This incident showed us once again that we need to stand in solidarity. We need to stand as one as a nation against terror attacks." he said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Islamist, leftist and Kurdish militants, who are battling Ankara in southeast Turkey, have all carried out attacks in the past. The Istanbul governor's office said the authorities were investigating the type of explosive used and who might have been responsible.