Turkey's Prime Minister says possible suspects behind the deadly twin bombings in Ankara include Islamic State as well as Kurdish and far-leftist militants. Pavithra George reports.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told reporters there was strong evidence to suggest the twin attacks at a pro-Kurdish rally in Ankara was the work of two suicide bombers. Davutoglu declared a three-day mourning period and said the blasts were an attack on Turkish democracy itself. (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRIME MINISTER, AHMET DAVUTOGLU, SAYING: "This attack does not target a single group or our citizens that attended the rally or a single political party. Let me be clear. This attack was carried out against our country and against all people." While there were no immediate claims of responsibility for the attack, Davutoglu said possible suspects included Islamic State, Kurdish or far-leftist militants. Meanwhile, the death toll from Saturday's explosions at a pro-Kurdish rally rises -- to 97 -- plus scores more injured. That's according to Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition group, the Peoples' Democratic Party or HDP. Party leader Selahattin Demirtas vowed the perpetrators would be held accountable even as he pointed a finger at the ruling government, saying the attack was a sequel to bombings in the mainly Kurdish cities of Diyarbakir and Suruc earlier this year. (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) PRO-KURDISH PEOPLES' DEMOCRATIC PARTY (HDP) LEADER, SELAHATTIN DEMIRTAS, SAYING: "As those who are in favor of peace, we will win this. You can remain calm. We are in great pain and in great anger but we have the strength and the courage to bring them to account." In Diyarbakir, protesters took to the streets... They called on Turkey's president, Tayyip Erdogan. to step down, blaming the government for the twin blasts - the worst attack of its kind on Turkish soil.