Tv footage shows the rescue of a 65-year-old woman after a ship with 458 people on board sinks in the Yangtze river. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT - NO REPORTER NARRATION Rescuers brought a 65-year-old woman ashore on Tuesday (June 2) after a passenger ship carrying 458 people capsized on China's Yangtze River in what could be one of China's worst disasters for years. Rescuers are still working in bad weather to save five more passengers trapped inside the hull of the ship that capsized late on Monday (June 1), the official People's Daily said on its microblog. CCTV showed rescuers putting her onto a stretcher and on a boat, after she was pulled out of the water. Five bodies have been recovered and only about a dozen people rescued so far from the four-decked tourist boat, amid confusing reports about how many have been saved. Dozens of rescue boats have been battling strong wind and heavy rain to reach the stricken vessel. Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered that no efforts be spared in rescue work, and Premier Li Keqiang was heading to the scene of the accident in central Hubei province, Xinhua said. It also later reported that initial investigations had found the ship was not overloaded and that it had enough life vests on board for the number of passengers it was carrying. Those rescued were wearing life vests, Xinhua said. The captain and the chief engineer of the Eastern Star, who were among the few to be rescued, had been detained by police for questioning, Xinhua said. Among those on board the ship were 406 tourists, aged from around 50 to 80, on a tour organised by a Shanghai tour group, and 47 crew members, the People's Daily said. Accidents of this magnitude are uncommon in China, where major rivers are used for tours and cruises. The incident is the worst on the Yangtze since a tug undergoing sea trials sank in January, killing 22 of the 25 people on board.