Purported Boko Haram leader claims an attack on the northeastern Nigerian town of Baga in which scores of civilians were killed. Rough cut (no reporter narration).
ROUGH CUT, NO REPORTER NARRATION A video posted on social media on Tuesday (January 20) showed a man purporting to be Islamist Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau claiming an attack on the northeastern town of Baga. Scores of civilians were killed when insurgents seized a multinational military base. Reuters is unable to independently verify the content of the video. The insurgents, who invaded Baga at the start of the year, razed many buildings and homes in the week that followed, shooting civilians as they tried to flee, witnesses said. Some local officials put the death toll as high as 2,000, although the military said it was 150. The military also said it killed the real Shekau. The Islamist group's five-year-old campaign has become one of the deadliest in the world, with around 10,000 people killed last year, according to the Council on Foreign Relations. Hundreds, mostly women and children, have been kidnapped. It remains the biggest threat to the stability of Africa's biggest economy ahead of a vote on February 14 in which President Goodluck Jonathan will seek re-election.