April 27 - KFC has been ordered to pay $8 million Australian dollars (8.3 million USD) to a stricken Australian girl's family after she was left severely brain damaged from food poisoning after eating a chicken ''Twister''. Matt Cowan reports.
The Fast-food chain KFC has been ordered to pay $8 million dollars in damages to the family of an Australian girl who was left severely brain damaged and wheelchair-bound after being poisoned by a chicken meal. In 2005, Monika Samaan, then aged seven, her parents and her brother were hospitalised with salmonella poisoning after eating a "Twister" chicken wrap at a KFC restaurant near Sydney. Last week, a Supreme Court judge ruled in favour of the family, saying KFC had breached its duty of care to the girl. The family's lawyer George Vlahakis, spoke to media outside the court. SOUNDBITE: SAMAAN FAMILY LAWYER, GEORGE VLAHAKIS, SAYING (English) : "It was a tremendous battle, but at this stage we can't make any further comment, thank you." KFC said it was a tragic case but that it is "deeply disappointed and surprised by the decision". The company is planning to appeal. Matt Cowan, Reuters