Feb. 6 - National Council opposition group says Syrian forces have killed 50 people in a sustained assault on the city of Homs. Nick Rowlands reports.
WARNING: EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES This video footage taken from an online streaming site purports to show the Syrian city of Homs under attack. The Syrian National Council opposition group said Syrian forces bombarded the city on Monday, killing 50 people in a sustained assault. Activists claim that forces loyal to the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad were using multiple rocket launchers. This fresh wave of violence follows the attacks on Homs last week in which more than 200 people were reportedly killed. Explosions can be heard and smoke seen in other videos uploaded to social media websites. Reuters cannot independently confirm the contents of these videos. Clips uploaded to the Internet on Sunday appear to show a field hospital in Homs under attack, with a body lying on the ground outside. Monday's assault comes a day after the U.S. promised harsher sanctions against Damascus, following Russian and Chinese vetoes of a draft U.N. resolution that would have backed an Arab League plan urging Assad to step down. The Syrian National Council said the vetoes on the resolution have given Assad a "licence to kill". Damascus denies firing on houses and says the images of bodies posted to the Internet were staged. Nick Rowlands, Reuters.